Our Practice Areas

Immigration for Immigrants and Their Families

The Immigration attorneys at Hughes Socol Piers Resnick & Dym, Ltd., offer clients a depth and scope of expertise equaled by few other law firms in the country. Backed by more than 30 years of experience, our attorneys are skilled in every area of immigration and nationality law. We pride ourselves on being aggressive advocates who resolve complex issues and deliver results. The immigration team is helmed by Kalman Resnick, one of the country’s most respected and experienced immigration and nationality lawyers. Our attorneys and staff speak Spanish, German, French and Polish.

HSPRD represents individual foreign nationals and their families in the full scope of U.S. immigration law, including matters related to citizenship and naturalization, deportation and removal defense, asylum, humanitarian programs, consular processing, waivers and administrative appeals . We have in-depth experience handling complex issues in both affirmative applications before the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the US Department of State (DOS), and defensive applications before the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR). Additionally, we have unparalleled expertise in fighting adverse government decisions and delays. 

In a time of increasing uncertainty for immigrants and their families, we are dedicated to helping our clients navigate a daunting and multifaceted area of law. Our attorneys are skilled litigators in federal court and administrative appellate hearings before the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO), and the federal circuit court.



Family-based immigration: Our attorneys are experienced in advising and representing foreign nationals seeking lawful permanent resident (LPR) status based on the U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident status of family members. This includes applications filed within the US before the DHS or applications filed outside of the US at various Consular posts around the world under the purview of the DOS. 

Deportation and removal defense: HSPRD attorneys have extensive experience representing foreign nationals in removal proceedings. Removal proceedings can be commenced on multiple grounds, including overstaying a visa, being convicted of a crime, or allegations of fraud or misrepresentation. Our attorneys are equipped to address and defend foreign nationals against any ground removal before the EOIR, the BIA, and/or federal court.

Asylum and refugee matters: Under the current administration, seeking asylum in the United States has become significantly more difficult due to changes in government policies. It is more important than ever that asylum applicants be represented by experienced counsel. Our Attorneys are well-qualified in filing asylum applications affirmatively before the USCIS or defensively before the EOIR and are experienced in helping people granted asylum bring family members to the US.

Citizenship and naturalization applications: Our Attorneys represent clients in all aspects of naturalization from preparing the application to representation at time of interview before the USCIS. This includes affirmative applications for citizenship based on years of status as a lawful permanent resident or applications seeking to establish derivative citizenship based on a US citizen parent or grandparent. We also handle cases for U.S. citizens whose naturalization the U.S. government is seeking to revoke, and foreign nationals whose naturalization applications have been delayed or denied. 

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA): The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program was established in 2012 to enable foreign nationals who first entered the U.S. before age 16 and met additional requirements to reside in America with authorization to work and without fear of deportation. Due to the discontinuance of first time DACA applications and the uncertain future of DACA renewals under the Trump administration, it is critically important for DACA recipients to consult with seasoned attorneys about renewals and possible options to apply for lawful permanent residence status.

Temporary Protected Status (TPS): Foreign nationals may find temporary refuge and work authorization in the U.S. if they are unable to return home safely due to an armed conflict or environmental disaster. The countries’ foreign nationals who are eligible for this program are designated by the US government. Due to the attempted termination of the TPS program to all currently designated countries by the Trump administration and the pending litigation surrounding the TPS program for all countries, it is advisable for foreign nationals seeking to apply for TPS or extend their current TPS to discuss the program and currently ligation with an experienced attorney. 

Administrative appeals and federal court action: We represent individuals and companies before the BIA, the AAO, and in federal court. Our team has used lawsuits, class actions and other types of impact litigation to challenge delayed decision-making across the U.S. We have also filed mandamus actions and writs of habeas corpus to benefit individual applicants whose applications have been unnecessarily pending or who have been detained by the US government for lengthy periods of time.


For more information about Immigration for Immigrants and Their Families, please visit ImmigrationRightsLawFirm.com.

Client Login

Have a question?

Send us a message or call us at:
(312) 580-0100
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Frequently Asked Questions

I married a U.S citizen, can I get a green card?

If you are married to a U.S. citizen, you may be able to obtain a green card through your spouse. It is important to determine if you will be able to obtain your green card in the U.S. or if your will need to travel to your country of citizenship to obtain your green card through the U.S. Consulate in that country. If you entered the U.S. illegally, you may need a waiver for your unlawful presence in the U.S. It is also very important that we examine your immigration history and criminal history to determine if you are eligible to obtain a green card. Please contact HSPRD so we can advise you if you are eligible to obtain a green card.

I received a Notice to Appear (NTA), does this mean that I will be deported?

If you have received an NTA, you should contact an immigration attorney immediately. The NTA will likely contain the date and time of your first immigration hearing, also known as the Master Calendar Hearing. If there is no date and time on your NTA, there is a possibility that this NTA could be considered defective, which could affect your case, and this information will be sent through a separate notice by mail. It is critical that you attend all hearings before the immigration judge and update your address with the immigration court if you move. If you fail to attend your hearing, you will likely be ordered deported for your failure to appear. It is important you consult with an immigration attorney to determine if you are eligible to apply for any forms of relief from deportation. Please contact HSPRD to discuss your specific circumstances and whether you are eligible for relief from removal.

I have temporary protected Status (TPS), can I get a green card through a family member?

If you currently have TPS, you may be eligible to obtain a green card through a family member who is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. It is important that we carefully examine your immigration history and criminal history to determine your eligibility. It may be possible for you to obtain your green card in the U.S. or you may need to travel to your country of citizenship to obtain your green card through the U.S. Consulate in that country. The waiting times for obtaining your green card depend on the petitioner’s relationship to you. It is very important that you look into the possibility of obtaining a green card with an experienced immigration attorney as TPS status is not indefinite. Please contact HSPRD so we can advise you on if you are eligible to obtain a green card.

I am afraid to return to my home country, can I apply for asylum?

If you fear returning to your home country, you may be eligible to apply for asylum. You must fear persecution due to your race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. Generally applicants for asylum must apply within one year of entering the U.S. However, there are exceptions to this rule. Asylum cases also become much more difficult if you have citizenship or another permanent status in a 3rd country. Additionally, the current administration has created significant road blocks to asylum eligibility that should be explored with an experienced attorney. Depending on when you file your case, you may be interviewed by the Asylum Office or by the Immigration Court. Please contact HSPRD to discuss your eligibility for asylum.

I have a criminal record, can I apply for citizenship?

If you have a criminal record you should consult an immigration attorney before you apply for citizenship. All arrests and convictions must be disclosed on your application for naturalization, even if they were subsequently dismissed or expunged. Even if you entered a deferred prosecution agreement and the charges were dismissed, this may still be considered a conviction for immigration purposes. You should obtain certified dispositions for each arrest in the county in which you were arrested, or have an attorney obtain the certified dispositions on your behalf. It is also important to determine if the conviction may make you deportable and could cause you to lose your green card. Please call HSPRD to schedule a consultation to determine if you are eligible to apply for citizenship.
Back To Top